- Affordable Housing in Vermont: Myths & Realities
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Citizens' Housing and Planning Association
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
- National Low Income Housing Coalition
- New England Housing Network
Display all Advocacy Resources links
- American Community Survey
- The American Community Survey (ACS) is an ongoing survey that provides data every year -- giving communities the current information they need to plan investments and services.
- American Housing Survey
- The American Housing Survey (AHS) is sponsored by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. The survey is the most comprehensive national housing survey in the United States.
- HUD Consolidated Planning/CHAS Data
- HUD "custom tabulations" of Census data that are largely not available through standard Census products. Comprehensive Housing Affordability Strategy (CHAS) data demonstrate the extent of housing problems and housing needs, particularly for low income households.
- HUD Multifamily Assistance and Section 8 Contracts Database
- HUD data for Section 8 project-based contracts.
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Vermont Housing Data
Display all Data Resources links
- CVOEO Fair Housing Project
- Guide to Fair Housing for Families in Vermont
- Guide to Fair Housing Law for Landlords and Property Managers
- Vermont Department of Economic, Housing & Community Development: Fair Housing Page
- Congressional Delegation: Leahy
- Congressional Delegation: Sanders
- Congressional Delegation: Welch
- Oil Heat Program
- The Citizens Energy Oil Heat Program provides heating assistance during the cold weather months to eligible households, apartment buildings, shelters and Native American tribes in each state where the program operates
- U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): Vermont Information
Display all Federal Resources links
- Mortgage Relief Fund
- Enterprise Green Communities Grants
- Green Building Initiative, the Kresge Foundation
Green Affordable Housing
- Building Greener Affordable Housing Training Materials
Home Ownership Resources
- Guide to Housing and Mortgages for People with Disabilities
- Habitat for Humanity: Vermont Chapters
- This program offers home repair loans with low interest rates and affordable monthly payments.
- Vermont Housing Finance Agency: Buying a Home
- National Low Income Housing Coalition "Memo To Members"
- Vermont Housing Finance Agency "Housing Matters" Blog
Land Use Planning
- Accessory Dwelling Units in Homes
- Accessory Dwellings - Technical Support
- Brattleboro Area Affordable Housing (BAAH) offers technical assistance to homeowners in Brattleboro and Bellows Falls who want to add an apartment to their house.
- Community Planning Toolbox
- Source: Vermont Natural Resources Council
- Publications and Information on Local Land Use Planning and Regulation in Vermont
- Handbooks, manuals, templates, check-sheets and other tools with information on local land use planning and bylaw adoption, development regulation and review, and the state rules (24 V.S.A. Chapter 117) that govern these activities.
- Report: The Effects of Inclusionary Zoning on Local Housing Markets
- Source: Center for Housing Policy and The Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy at New York University; March 2008, updated February 2010.
- Smart Growth in Vermont
- Note: Smart Growth Vermont merged with the Vermont Natural Resources Council in 2011.
Display all Land Use Planning links
Lead Paint Safety
- CVOEO Vermont Tenants: Lead Paint Hazards Page
- LeadSafe Vermont
- LeadSafe Vermont is part of a comprehensive lead awareness program administered by the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board.
- Vermont Department of Health Lead Resource Guide
- Vermont Lead-Based Paint Hazard reduction Program
- This program provides financial and technical assistance to income-eligible landlords and homeowners to reduce the risk of lead poisoning caused by lead-based paint hazards.
Mobile Home Resources
- CVOEO Mobile Home Project
- This program of the Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity works with mobile home residents throughout the state of Vermont to defend their interests and ensure they are able to maintain their housing.
- Guide to Your Rights as a Mobile Home Park resident
- Vermont Department of Economic, Housing & Community Development: Mobile Home Parks Page
- 2010 Census Resources for Nonprofits
- Newest resources from Nonprofits Count! campaign, a nationwide effort to get nonprofits involved in the 2010 Census.
- Costs Associated With First-Time Homelessness For Families and Individuals
- HUD Report. March 24, 2010.
- Housing Solutions Handbook
- Although written for New Hampshire, this uses examples from both Vermont and New Hampshire to explain strategies on how to encourage affordable housing development. Chapter 3 discusses local planning specifically.
- Life After Transitional Housing for Homeless Families
- HUD Report. March 24, 2010.
- Strategies for Improving Homeless People's Access to Mainstream Benefits and Services
- HUD Report. March 24, 2010.
- Support Housing in Vermont Communities
- Published by the VT Association of Planning & Development Agencies, this booklet provides ideas for what towns can do to promote affordable housing through land use planning.
- The State of the Nation's Housing 2011
- From the Joint Center for Housing Studies, Harvard University, June 2011.
Rental Housing Resources
- CVOEO Vermont Tenants
- This program of the Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity provides free direct services to tenants, including advice advocacy and referrals.
- Directory of Affordable Rental Housing
- Searchable data base of all subsidized housing in Vermont - searchable by town, county or statewide.
- Law Line of Vermont
- Renting in Vermont Handbook
- The "Renting in Vermont" Handbook is intended to give tenants and landlords a basic understanding of their rights and responsibilities.
- Vermont Division of Fire Safety
- Vermont Housing Finance Agency: Need Rental Housing? Page
Display all Rental Housing Resources links
State Housing Resources
- Brattleboro Area Affordable Housing Corporation
- Council on the Future of Vermont
- Directory of Housing Organizations
- Home Share of Central Vermont
- Vermont Agency of Commerce & Community Development
Display all State Housing Resources links
VAHC Member Directory
- Addison County Community Trust
- Another Way Drop-In Center / Green Mountain Support Group
- Barre Housing Authority
- Bennington Coalition for the Homeless
- Brattleboro Area Affordable Housing Corp.
- Brattleboro Area Drop-In Center
Display all VAHC Member Directory links